from a glorious setting which consists of a natural amphitheatre
nestling in a rocky hollow on the side of a hill, Calascibetta was
probably founded during the Arab occupation.
Mother Church erected in the 14th century was completely rebuilt
after an earthquake in the 1600s. Remains of the former structure
lie under the building, only visible below the left nave. Its three
naves are divided by stone columns which rise from bases bearing
carvings of monstruous figures to support the arcades of pointed
arches. To the left is a fine 1500’s baptismal font.
Norman tower dating from the 11th century, ornamented with a shallow
relief in stone, stands beside the ruined Chiesa di S.Pietro. From
a square, on the left, extends a beautiful view on Enna, to the
right (its castle and panoramic balcony clearly visible) and the
Pergusa Lake below.
the village in the direction of Villapriolo, you can see the rock-cut
tombs of the necropolis of Realmese, dating from the 4th century
to the crossroad and take the left turning (SS 121) for Leonforte.
The road winds its way inland across the hills around Enna beyond
Regalbuto, offering wonderful views over the countryside, particularly
on the section between Nissoria and the turning for Centuripe, in
the valley of the Salso River and of the Pozzillo Lake.
Villa Romana Del Casale
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in