The archaeological site is best
approached from Aidone, from where it is signposted left for Scavi
di Morgantina (approx. 5 km).
The area of Serra Orlando has been
inhabited since the Bronze Age. During the Iron Age, the hamlet
grew to become Morgantina, probably named after the king of Morget,
an Italic tribe from Central-Southern Italy. In the 5th century
BC, it was re-founded in the neighboring area of Serra Orlando.
Excavations at the site, undertaken in 1955, have brought to light
relics of the ancient Sikel settlement, after colonized by the Greek
and grew to prominence as far as the 1st century AD, when it was
– The site stretches on a valley between two hills. The agorà,
a small theatre and, on the northern hill, fragments of mosaics
under protective roofing are in evidence.
IN THE AREA
Aidone – The small town few
kilometres from Morgantina accomodates the Museo Archeologico Regionale,
housed within a former Capuchin monastery. Here is displayed material
of the Prehistoric and Proto-historic Ages recovered from the site.
Access to the museum is through the church of San Francesco, preserving
a fine 1600’s wooden tabernacle. The exhibits include some
fine antefixes from the mid-6th century BC bearing masks of Gorgons,
lions and maenads.
Villa Romana Del Casale
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in